As you all know, I am a self-taught makeup artist. However, after years of working in the industry I was able to work with Industry Makeup Academy. Not only did I receive my Makeup Artist Certification, but I was also able to join the team as an Instructor and Partner. There are so many things that took me 10 years to learn, some the hard way, as a Makeup Artist. Still, It's amazing how many new techniques and business tips I learned after all this time. My goal is to spread the knowledge to anyone out there who has an interest in makeup and put them on the fast track to Makeup Artist success without having to make the same mistakes I've made. Whether you've always had a passion for it and you're looking to change your career...or if you're right out of school interested in pursuing your own business. Gaining a Makeup Artist Certification in 4 weeks or less is an investment worth looking into. I always get asked, do I need a Makeup Artist Certification? Check out the post below for 7 reason why you should be certified.
Without further ado...7 Reasons Why You Should Be a Certified Makeup Artist
1) It's hard to get.
If it was easy, everyone would do it. It's challenging because you learn everything you need to know about Makeup Artistry in a short period of time. Therefore, you are more qualified and have an accelerated path to career success compared to other artists who are self taught and without a network.
2) Professional Network When you take a Professional Makeup Artist Certification Course, you become a part of a professional network. Just like graduating from any school, you now have access to an alumni network. You have other Makeup Artist who will work along side you at gigs, to whom you can refer and vice versa. You also have access to job opportunities posted by other students as well as the makeup school.
3) Proof of Professional Artistry
When you become certified, you will receive a Makeup Artist Professional Certification. This serves as proof of you being a professional Makeup Artist. This document can be used to let you apply for Professional Makeup Artist Discount Programs where you receive % off cosmetics.
4) Above the competition Most Makeup Artists in the industry are not certified. Therefore, when a client sees that you took the time to gain your Certification you have a leg up on the competition. You also have the ability to charge more due to your professional training.
While it is not required to have a makeup artist certification in some states, there are some companies that require a certification to work with them. Also, having a Certification serves as proof that you are qualified to your employer.
5) Know your Options Have you thought about what field of makeup you want to go to? Let's say you love bridal...or maybe you want to work in editorial or film. You want know until you get to learn about each field and how the makeup and lifestyle differs for each. Certification students learn everything from doing period makeup for tv and film to 20 minute editorial looks so that they can see which genre fits them best.
6) Learn about all skin tones, face and eye shapes
There's nothing worse than having a client and not knowing how to do their makeup. A lot of us struggle on working with others who have completely opposite skin tones or eye shapes than us. It's important how to apply the right makeup for every face so that you are a well rounded artist. Don't narrow your client pool, be able to know how to use the right colors for each skin tone...learn how to apply contour and highlight to different face shapes, and learn how to apply the right eyeshadow to different eye types.
7) Learn sanitation Keeping your clients safe is your number one priority. I've seen it with my own eyes. Many makeup artists don't properly sanitize their makeup and do not practice hygienic application. There is so much risk here - spreading disease and infection. It's your job to know how to sanitarily apply makeup and a certified makeup artist knows how to do this.
If you're interested in learning more about being certified, check out Industry Makeup Academy in Atlanta, GA. We have day, night, weekend and courses available in Espanol to accommodate every schedule. We've also opened a brand new location which is absolutely gorgeous!
Registrations are currently up for our new 5 week Certification in August and you can use my discount code REN16 for discount off your registration. Feel free to send us a message or give us a call with any questions.